Geoip cache options patch

Eugaia ngx.eugaia at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 01:56:25 MSK 2010

Hi,

On 21/12/2010 00:45, Akins, Brian wrote:
> On 12/20/10 1:41 PM, "Igor Sysoev"<igor at sysoev.ru>  wrote:
>
>> Thank you for the patch.
>> How large bases do you use ? As far as I remember MaxMind bases are too
>> big, at least no more than 50M. I think this is not big issue to keep
>> it entirely in memory.
> No, it's not a big issue.  But we do run 1 worker_process per cpu core, so
> on a 16 core box we may use 16 * 50MB of RAM for Geoip.  I know that's
> small, but every little it helps.  And it was not very much code.

Each worker process will see virtual data usage of 50MB for the data,
but unless I'm mistaken, the overall system usage should still only be
50MB because the data is shared in the same physical memory by the OS
until such a time that it's changed (which it won't unless you re-read
the config, and in which case it would change for all worker processes).

Marcus.