ngx_lua now has (basic) subrequest support

agentzh agentzh at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 08:59:47 MSD 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:42 PM, Akins, Brian <Brian.Akins at turner.com> wrote:
> On 6/24/10 3:23 AM, "agentzh" <agentzh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Lua's coroutine is rather light-weight, and luajit's is even lighter ;)
>
> I guess it depends on your idea of "light-weight" ;)
>
> We eventually gave up on Lua and are experimenting with doing config
> directly in C. Sounds crazy, but it's not that bad.  Also experimenting with
> a templating language that "compiles" to C or LLVM bytecode.  Still early
> though.

Are you sharing lua vm instance across all your requests in an nginx
worker process? The 30k footprint of a lua vm per nginx worker process
is not light-weight enough in your opinion?

And yeah, there's also a ngx_tcc module in our TODO list. We'd like to
use C as a dynamic language in nginx.conf just like lua, by means of
TCC (Tiny C Compiler):

    http://bellard.org/tcc/

And we'd also work on an ngx_tt2 module that compiles Perl's TT2
templating language directly down to C and JIT'd by TCC on the fly :)

It seems that we're on the same page ;)

Cheers,
-agentzh