Web Application Firewall module for NGINX

Thibault Koechlin thibault.koechlin at nbs-system.com
Wed Aug 31 08:21:31 UTC 2011

Hello list,

Just a short mail to announce the release of Naxsi, a WAF (Web
Application Firewall) for NGINX. Web Application Firewalls aims at
protecting web-sites from exploitation of vulnerabilities, such as SQL
injection, Cross Site Scripting and so on.
You can find more details here (wiki, downloads, etc.) :
naxsi.googlecode.com

The project is now in version alpha 0.2 (read : young !), but we've
already performed some tests on it (with various commercial web
vulnerability scanning softwares, performed static analysis on its code
source, and a few manual reviews).

On a side note, and I hope there are security enthusiasts amongst us, we
setup a dedicated testing environment, where nginx+naxsi is acting as
reverse proxy for three "on purpose" vulnerable websites. I hope in this
way people will play and find vulnerabilities in naxsi, ways to bypass
it, or trust it ;) (Those three sites are usually used to test web
vulnerability application scanners) (details here :
http://code.google.com/p/naxsi/wiki/OnlyTrustWhatYouCanTest)

Regards,
PS: Feel free to contact me by mail, or on irc/freenode, nickname bui.