Lua/Redis Routing with Failover

Rick Richardson rick.richardson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 17:02:41 UTC 2012

So in my conf I would have:

upstream myroutes {
  lua_redis_route;
  keepalive;
}

location / {
  access_by_lua '
     Fetch a list of peers with failover info from redis and then populate
the lua_redis_route upstream peer array with that data
'
}

The idea is simply that I would fetch a current list of peers from redis
and plug them in to nginx's existing upstream. This would allow me to
elegantly handle failure by failing over to the next peer on the list and
then report that peer as 'down' back to redis.