Buffers of zero size and filter module

Daniel Fiala danfiala at centrum.cz
Fri Jul 27 06:53:35 UTC 2012

Hello.

On 25 July 2012 23:29, Valentin V. Bartenev <ne at vbart.ru> wrote:

> > * Is the number of buffers of zero size small? As I understand, memory of
> > the chain-link is not recycled until the http request is not fully
> > processed.
>
> But it is actively reused. If you look at the ngx_alloc_chain_link()
> function you will find that it tries to get a link from pool->chain,
> while ngx_free_chain() puts chain links to pool->chain.

And is ngx_free_chain(.) really called form ngx_http_charset_filter_module.c
? It seems, that it has been added to ngx_chain_update_chains(.)
( http://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-devel/2011-September/001178.html ),
but this function is not used very often. Modules seem to process buffers
own way.

>  wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev

KR, Daniel