Can not use $bytes_sent in module (complex values)

Vladimir Shebordaev vshebordaev at mail.ru
Tue Sep 18 15:56:32 UTC 2012

Hi!

The ngx_http_log module uses indexed variables just like the rewrite
module does.

Hope it helps.

--
Regards,
Vladimir

Tue, 18 Sep 2012 15:55:38 +0200 от Benjamin Grössing <mailtogroe at gmail.com>:

>Hello,

I am currently working on a nginx module, that parses user defined

strings for variables using ngx_http_complex_value_t. That works great

with all variables defined in ngx_http_variables.c (i.e.

$body_bytes_sent). However, variables as $bytes_sent do not exist here

since ngx_http_log_module uses its own variable parsing system. What

is the best way to use these extra variables in my module? I have

thought of the following options, I am not very sure about what is the

best way to go:

a) Copy the ngx_http_log_module code in my own module and rename every

single type and function to avoid double definitions. Reuse functions

and types from there.

b) Move the ngx_http_log_module code in my own module directory and

compile it only there. Reuse functions and types from there.

c) Write own variable parsing system, reuse a few snippets from

ngx_http_variables and ngx_http_log_module, whatever fits best.

d) Use complex values and try to extend the ngx_http_core_variables

array to include $body_bytes_sent and the other missing variables (I

don't understand why they are not included here anyway?).

e) Any better way to achieve that?

I'd really appreciate your help.

Regards

Benjamin