Can not use $bytes_sent in module (complex values)

Benjamin Grössing mailtogroe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 15:30:10 UTC 2012

Hello,

thanks for your further explanations. I think I understand the
concepts of these variables and how they are calculated now. However,
I am not sure how calling nxg_http_add_variable and implementing that
specific getter would affect performance for modules (other than the
log module) using it.

I have also had a look at the changeset 4686, adding the $status
variable. Thats exactly what I had in mind! Since $body_bytes_sent
already exists (it actually just subtracts the header length from the
total length!), adding $bytes_sent is actually quite easy (or did I
miss something?).

I have attached a patch (based on nginx 1.3.6) that adds $bytes_sent
to ngx_http_variables. It works great for me - I'd be happy to see it
in a future nginx release.

Let me know if I can help any further!

Regards
Benjamin