Optimizing TLS Record Size & Buffering Latency

Alex alex at zeitgeist.se
Tue Oct 29 23:32:19 UTC 2013

> Funny you mention that, I just started working on making this a
> configure option.

That's great news, Piotr! In the blog entry Ilya states that Google
servers make TLS records fit into single network segment (so that means
something like a NGX_SSL_BUFSIZE of 1460 minus overhead, timestamps
disabled). In the TLS chapter in his book, however, he stated that
Google uses SSL buffers of "about 5 KB", so that's more like one TLS
record sent through 3-4 TCP segments). I guess it will require some
testing.