On ETag removal by the gzip module.

Manuel Vázquez manuel at merchise.org
Mon Oct 6 16:15:18 UTC 2014

Le 06/10/14 11:56, Albert Casademont Filella a écrit :

> The weak etag preservation was added to nginx 1.7.3 so I guess your
> problem is that you're still on the 1.6.* branch! Hope that helps :)
Actually 1.4.6...

$ aptitude show nginx-light
Paquet : nginx-light
État: installé
Automatiquement installé: non
Version : 1.4.6-1ubuntu3.1

I'll upgrade I think...

On the other matter, I'm rereading the relevant parts of the RFC to see
if the Etag vs Gzipping issue could be resolved... It's clear that
whenever the transmitted data changes, etag must change:

    A "strong entity tag" MAY be shared by two entities of a resource
    only if they are equivalent by octet equality.

But also an identity-preserving Content-Enconding says just that:

    The Content-Encoding entity-header field is used as a modifier to the
    media-type. When present, its value indicates what additional content
    codings have been applied to the entity-body, and thus what decoding
    mechanisms must be applied in order to obtain the media-type
    referenced by the Content-Type header field. Content-Encoding is
    primarily used to allow a document to be compressed *without losing**
**   the identity of its underlying media type*.

So I think there's room for improvement.