Possible bug - hostname-defined upstream locations, bind addresses, etc. from /etc/hosts not referenced at some load times

Thomas Ward teward at dark-net.net
Sun May 17 05:30:01 UTC 2015

Maxim:

> On May 17, 2015, at 00:18, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:

>  It's up to the
> OS to provide appropriate service.  That is, what you describe
> looks like a system startup race condition.

That's what I thought, but wasn't entirely sure.

> I'm not really
> familiar with Debian/Ubuntu, but may be adding $named to
> Required-Start list in the init script will fix things.

I'll have to check the three init systems to see how to do this in all versions... some use sysvinit, some use upstart, and some use SystemD.

Thanks for the pointers on potential solutions, Maxim, and for confirming what I thought: that this is a system startup race condition and not really a bug.

Thomas