[ANN] Test::Nginx 0.25 released

Yichun Zhang (agentzh) agentzh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 07:59:19 UTC 2016

Hi guys,

I've just uploaded Test::Nginx 0.25 to CPAN:

    https://metacpan.org/release/Test-Nginx

It will appear on the CPAN mirror near you in the next few hours or so.

Special thanks go to all our contributors and users :)

Here's the complete change log for this release (compared to the last
CPAN release, 0.24):

 *   feature: added the new test mdoule, Test::Nginx::Socket::Lua::Stream,
     for testing stream-typed NGINX C modules like ngx_stream_echo_module
     and ngx_stream_lua_module. Please see
     https://metacpan.org/pod/Test::Nginx::Socket::Lua::Stream for more
     details.

 *   feature: added new section "--- server_addr_for_client" to control
     the value of server_addr for client. thanks Guanlan Dai for the patch.

 *   feature: added support for the TEST_NGINX_LOAD_MODULES
     environment for  loading dynamic NGINX modules in nginx.conf globally.

 *   feature: added support for ASAN by passing ASAN_OPTIONS environment
     variable. thanks Markus Linnala for the patch.

 *   feature: Test::Nginx::Socket::Lua: added support for
     the init_by_lua_block {} directive of ngx_http_lua_module.

 *   feature: avoided variations in the absolute line numbers of user
     configurations so that the test cases can check nginx configuration
     file line numbers deterministically.

 *   feature: implemented the env_to_nginx() Perl utility function as per
     Rollin Crittendon's request. for example:
     env_to_nginx('foo', 'bar=hello world')

 *   feature: now we pass the environment DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE
     to the nginx by default as well.

 *   feature: implemented the "--- todo" section for TODOing test blocks.
     thanks Markus Linnala for the patch.

 *   feature: repeat_each() also returns the value even when it is used as
     a setter.

 *   bugfix: testing could not continue properly when the "--- must_die"
     subtest failed.

 *   bugfix: ARRAY-typed "--- more_headers" now work with ARRAY-typed
     "--- request". thanks Kipras Mancevičius for the report.

 *   bugfix: fixed the perl warning "Use of uninitialized value $val in
     concatenation" when "--- more_headers" has headers without values.

 *   bugfix: use SIGTERM to kill non-responsive nginx/valgrind processes
     instead of SIGQUIT; otherwise the perl test process may hang forever
     in valgrind testing mode.

 *   bugfix: only complain about failures of removing the nginx pid file
     when it still exists.

 *   bugfix: we should bail out when `nginx -V` returns anything that we
     cannot understand.

 *   bugfix: builtin udp server: fixed recv() call's error handling.

 *   bugfix: we did not expand environments TEST_NGINX_XXX in the
     "--- main_config" and "--- post_main_config" data sections.

 *   bugfix: better error handling in the mocked UDP server.

 *   change: changed the default value of TEST_NGINX_SLEEP to 0.015 (sec).
     thanks Dejiang Zhu for the patch.

 *   improvement: output the system error message when failing to remove
     the nginx pid file.

 *   improvement: made the error_log test failure message clearer. thanks
     Nick Muerdter for the patch.

 *   doc: fixed the module description of Test::Nginx and
     Test::Nginx::Socket to reflect recent changes.

 *   doc: now we highly recommend Test::Nginx::Socket and its subclasses.

 *   doc: documentged the default timeout value used by the client. thanks
     Nick Muerdter for the patch.

 *   doc: added a link to the official user guide in the book
     "Programming OpenResty".

This Perl module provides a test scaffold based on IO::Socket
for automated testing in Nginx C module or ngx_lua-based Lua library
development.

This class inherits from Test::Base, thus bringing all its declarative
power to the NginxC module testing practices.

Please check out the full documentation on CPAN:

    https://metacpan.org/pod/Test::Nginx::Socket

as well as the official user guide in the book "Programming OpenResty":

    https://openresty.gitbooks.io/programming-openresty/content/testing/

All of our Nginx modules (as well as our lua-resty-* libraries) are
using Test::Nginx to drive their test suites. And it is also driving
my test cluster running on Amazon EC2:

    http://qa.openresty.org

Please note that this module is completely different from the
Test::Nginx module created by Maxim Dounin.

The git repository for this Perl module is hosted on GitHub:

    https://github.com/openresty/test-nginx

Have fun!

Best regards,
-agentzh