support for proxy_http_version automatically detect

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Fri Jan 8 18:09:50 UTC 2016

Hello!

On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 01:16:55PM +0800, Chuanwen Chen wrote:

> In our case, we needed to set proxy_http_version to 1.0 or 1.1 according to
> client, because the clients for http 1.0 could not proceed chunked encoding
> gzip through keep-alive connections correctly, but 'proxy_http_version'
> didn't help.

I don't understand what problem you are trying to solve.

Protocols used by proxy and by clients are unrelated.  As long as
a response returned by a backend don't have Content-Length set,
nginx will automatically use chunked transfer encoding if client
supports it.  And vice versa, if a client uses HTTP/1.0, nginx will
not use chunked transfer encoding in such a case, and will close
the connection instead.