Fix for issue 857: RFC-7230 compliant forwarding of client certificates

Flemming Frandsen dren.dk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 09:20:28 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:

> Another possible approach might be to change $ssl_client_cert to
> use spaces (tabs?) instead of newline + tab.  This should be
> compatible with what most servers provide as a result of parsing
> multi-line header, and implies less changes.  This needs an
> additional investigation though.

Hi, I've found some more support for doing exactly this:
https://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec4.html#sec4.2

"
Any LWS that occurs between field-content MAY be replaced with a single SP
before interpreting the field value or forwarding the message downstream.
"

As far as I know LWS includes the newline-whitespace sequence.

It seems to me quite clear that any compliant interpreter of header values
should be insensitive to the switch from any amount of linear white space
ce to a single space within the header value.

--
Flemming Frandsen - YAPH - http://osaa.dk - http://dren.dk/