PSK Support

Karstens, Nate Nate.Karstens at garmin.com
Mon Jun 5 14:08:15 UTC 2017

Maxim,

Thanks for the reply. I understand your concerns about PSK. We discussed it quite a bit, but ultimately decided that a PKI was not practical for our environment. We have to rely on the end user to configure security and any solution using PKI would be so difficult to work with that they just wouldn't bother with security at all.

I considered some alternatives on the "ssl_nocert" option. My preference would have been to analyze the supported cipher suites (from "ssl_ciphers") and determine if any include a PSK, but it does not look like OpenSSL exposes APIs to accomplish this. Using a dummy certificate seemed more complicated than the other two suggestions you had (using "ssl_certificate" with a value of "off" or disabling the tests if there are PSK secrets), so I'd prefer one of those two. What is your preference?

One advantage of the PSK path concept is that it provides a lot of flexibility. It allows, for example, multiple applications to each independently manage their own PSKs without the need to coordinate changes to a single file (note that in this scenario each application would want to use $ssl_psk_identity to check the key). stunnel uses a single file and seems to assume that keys will be ASCII strings. Its format, for example, would not allow NUL to appear in the string, as that would terminate the key early and, at best, lead to a reduced key size.

I might be mistaken, but wouldn't changing a certificate also require reloading the configuration? Do you have some ideas on how this could be done without requiring a reload?

I agree on the proxy_ssl_* directives; the same could probably be said for the mail and stream SSL modules.

Regards,

Nate