slice module issue if redirected origin and have have fist slice

Roman Arutyunyan arut at nginx.com
Tue Jun 13 11:44:48 UTC 2017

Hi George,

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 10:02:16AM +0300, George . wrote:
> ​​Hi,
> I've discovered following strange issue with http_slice_module
> If I have a named location for internal 302 redirect and caching one slice
> makes further request for whole object to brake upstream redirected request
> (missing Rage header, see frame 254 in the attached capture ​
>  slice_redirect_problem.pcapng
> <https://drive.google.com/a/ucdn.com/file/d/0ByZ2nt00gtJ2NmtqVUU3OVozNXM/view?usp=drive_web>
> ​ ).

What happens is:

- client requests 0-4m
- nginx creates the request for the 1st slice and proxies it to 8081
- after receiving 302, the request is redirected to
  @fetch_from_redirected_origin and the first slice is saved in the cache

Note that in @fetch_from_redirected_origin there's a completely separate
slice context.  By this time nginx only knows what client sent.  Previous
slice context is completely lost as well as all other modules' contexts.
Coincidentally, it does what you expect because only the first slice was
requested.

Then you request the entire file:

- client request the entire file
- first slice is sent from the cache
- nginx creates a subrequest for the 2nd slice: 4m-8m and proxies it to 8081
- after receiving 302, the subrequest is redirected to
  @fetch_from_redirected_origin

After the redirect nginx does not have any idea that it should fetch the second
slice.  Moreover, the $slice_range variable is not filled with actual range when
first accessed in a subrequest (after error_page redirect it looks like the
first access), so it remains empty.  That's why the entire file is requested.
But even if the variable was valid, that would still be bad since the slice
context is lost after error_page redirect.  You would get the whole file here
instead of 4m-8m range.

The takeaway is you should avoid using the slice module with redirects
(error_page, X-Accel-Redirect) for fetching slices.  Instead you should proxy
directly to the origin server.

>  If there is no cached slice everything is okey  (2nd capture​
>  slice_redirect_no_problem.pcapng
> <https://drive.google.com/a/ucdn.com/file/d/0ByZ2nt00gtJ2SUpnc2VVbzBKdWc/view?usp=drive_web>
> ​)

No, it's not ok.  The first redirect to @fetch_from_redirected_origin leads
to caching all file slices instead of the first one.

Roman Arutyunyan