Question about ngx_handle_write_event

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Jul 17 16:02:38 UTC 2019

Hello!

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 02:35:02PM +0000, Eran Kornblau wrote:

> > Hello!
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 07:23:11PM +0000, Eran Kornblau wrote:
> >
> > > Something is unclear to me regarding the use of this function, the
> > > development guide says - "the functions ngx_handle_read_event(rev,
> > > flags) and ngx_handle_write_event(wev, lowat) must be called after handling an I/O socket notification or calling any I/O functions on that socket"
> > >
> > > If my module finished sending all the data it had, and is now waiting
> > > for more data to arrive (on some other socket) does it still have to call ngx_handle_write_event?
> >
> > Yes.  In particular, this is required with level-tiggered event methods, such as select and poll, to remove the socket from the event list if it was previously added there.
> >

> Thank you, Maxim.
>
> I'm looking at ngx_ssl_ocsp_write_handler, and I see that ngx_handle_write_event is called only when the request is fully sent -
> it is not called in case of NGX_AGAIN / partial send.
> Is this a bug, or am I still missing something?

Sort of.

As write event is initially added when a connection is created,
and never removed by the relevant code - ngx_handle_write_event()
is not needed unless we've sent all the request and want to
disable the event.  That is, this shouldn't be a problem with
currrent code, as everything will work as intended.  In more
complex code ngx_handle_write_event() call is likely to be
required after all write events, not just when you've done with
writing.

This might be a bug with oneshot events though, but oneshot
events are buggy regardless of this particular problem.

> Also, isn't there a need to call ngx_send repeatedly in a loop, if it somehow returns n < size?
> (I see there is such a loop in ngx_linux_sendfile_chain for example)

No.  Calling send functions again is only needed to handle EINTR
signals, and this is something nginx low-level functions do for
you.