c->error on 412 responses from not_modified_filter

am55444 am55444 at protonmail.com
Thu Aug 27 06:37:56 UTC 2020

I am trying to understand reasoning behind nginx setting ngx_connection_t->error (via filter_finalize check in ngx_http_finalize_request) for 412 responses in ngx_http_not_modified_filter.

From the initial introduction of filter_finalize, looks like it was intended to handle large responses for image filter. However I couldn't find c->error being read anywhere after ngx_http_terminate_request (which is called from ngx_http_finalize_request).
https://github.com/nginx/nginx/blob/554916301c424f02b1cabc073845b64f8681099b/src/http/ngx_http_request.c#L2477

Can someone please point me to the right direction?

Thanks!