General Development Inquiry

Jeff Heisz jmheisz at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 00:02:40 UTC 2020

Hmmm, hopefully this works because I subscribed with digest.  Thank
you very much for the feedback, I now had an idea of where to focus (I
had a rough idea but this made it clearer).  And now I know what the
issue is but have no idea how to resolve it.

My module was setting the upstream length as you suggested, hence my
confusion.  So I flooded the ngx_http_upstream code with debug
statements to hunt down why the code around line 3614 (which calls
finalize on the upstream length reaching zero) wasn't working.  Turns
out, the value was -1, which, if I read the code correctly, indicates
that upstream is complete when connection is closed (consistent with
what I was seeing).

More debugging, turns out that my custom process_header method is
setting the correct length to process, but immediately after that can
the nginx server internally calls process_headers, which transfers all
of the values between the upstream and request headers
and...then...sets the upstream length to -1!

Gah!  So now I know what's wrong, but have no idea how to address it!
There's no indicators or flags that I can see in the process_headers
method to have it not reset the length to EOF!

jmh