Fwd: Proposal: Add .mjs file extension to known to be JS

Bradley Farias bradley.meck at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 17:48:51 UTC 2021

The proposal instructions on the nginx website state that it is for
bug fixes and so it seems that would be the wrong place to put a proposal.
I can do so and cross reference.

To be clear; whatwg is using it in their specifications without any Node
usage implied; if files are produced with that file extension by copy and
pasting the specification examples (such as those in HTML Standard
(whatwg.org)
<https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/webappapis.html#integration-with-the-javascript-module-system>),
they would fail on nginx. There is also an IETF MIME update that should
finally be published soon: draft-ietf-dispatch-javascript-mjs-09 -
ECMAScript Media Types Updates
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dispatch-javascript-mjs/> . If
the goal is not to be compatible, but only to apply to file extensions
after they are popular, that seems a bit odd to me at least since it means
knowing that upcoming things are potentially incompatible and willfully not
preparing until after the problems occur.