Using single persistent socket to send subrequests

Devashi Tandon devashi.tandon at appsentinels.ai
Thu Jan 13 07:26:16 UTC 2022

Hi,

I am trying to implement HTTP pipelining through our module. But I am unable to figure out where the source port is allocated. The only function I saw that allocates the port is: ngx_http_upstream_create_round_robin_peer. However, it doesn't get called in the path of ngx_http_run_posted_requests.

Further, ngx_http_upstream_get_round_robin_peer allocates the peer, but every time in my case the peer pointer is pointing to the same address. However, in tcpdump I always see a different source port from which the packet is sent out indicating that a new socket connection is created.

Can anyone help me understand where we get the source port from the OS and create/update the peer before sending out the packets from the socket connection?

My purpose is to reuse the same socket connection without changing the source port and use a persistent connection.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Devashi