Http2 idle connection and worker shutdown

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Fri Oct 21 01:43:44 UTC 2022

Hello!

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 06:09:11PM -0700, Jojy Varghese via nginx-devel wrote:

[...]

> > If you think that nginx does something wrong, you may want to
> > elaborate on the details of the incorrect behaviour you observe
> > (as well as why you think it's incorrect, and how would you like
> > to improve it).
>
> We ran into a problem where the connection close (as described
> above) causes some clients (chrome browser) to fail long running
> (large) downloads using h2. This is I think because these
> clients send a WINDOW UPDATE towards the end and Nginx sends a
> TCP RST since the connection is closed.

So it looks like you are running into the race condition the
lingering close is expected to solve.  You may want to upgrade
nginx then.

Note well that lingering close support in HTTP/2 was added in
nginx 1.19.1, more than two years ago, and the last nginx version
without it is not supported for more than a year.