src/http/modules/ngx_http_gzip_filter_module.c tuning

Aleksandar Lazic al-nginx at none.at
Sun Dec 10 04:21:24 MSK 2006

Hi,

today I have tested nginx and apache compression behavior with proxied
requests and wasn't very happy that apache beats nginx :-/

/usr/sbin/ab2 -t 60 -c 5 -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip' URL

Server Software:        nginx/0.5.0 (with compression level 2)

Server Software:        Apache with deflate output filter

Without compression nginx beats apache, with the same proxied request
;-):

/usr/sbin/ab2 -t 60 -c 5 SAME_URL

Server Software:        nginx/0.5.0

Server Software:        Apache with deflate output filter

nginx.conf [snipped]
---
gzip on;
gzip_types   text/plain text/css application/x-javascript text/xml;
gzip_proxied any;
gzip_comp_level 2;
proxy_buffering off;
---

Default apache conf from 'make install'.

How can I tune the gzip filter module to come to apache req/s, if it's
possible?!

I have seen some options in the src which I haven't found in the doc:

gzip_no_buffer?
gzip_window?
gzip_hash?

Could this help?!