Setting to turn off buffering of file uploads to proxy backends?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 12:40:34 MSK 2006

On Dec 30, 2006, at 1:21 AM, Igor Sysoev wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, Igor Sysoev wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
>>
>>> 	Is there any way to get a config setting in nginx to turn off
>>> buffering of file uploads to proxied backeds? I woudl really like
>>> to be able to use mongrel_upload_progress to do upload progress
>>> bars in rails applications. Right now there seems to not be a way
>>> to turn off buffering of file uploads when the handler is a proxy
>>> backend.
>>> 	Is there a way to turn this off? Coudl you please add one?
>>> Apache2.2 and lighty both support non buffered file uploads to
>>> proxied backends and it would be great if nginx could support
>>> this as well.
>>
>> No, currently nginx always buffer uploads.
>> I have plan to add 1) non-buffered uploads and 2) filters that allow
>> to show the upload progress bar using nginx.
>>
>> Apache and lighttpd support non-buffered uploads only.
>> nginx was developed as accelerator to minimize a backend
>> interaction time
>> with a client, so my initial plans did not include the non-
>> buffered uploads.
>
> Besides, if a backend was failed during request processing, then
> nginx can resend a whole request with body to another backend.
>

> Igor Sysoev
> http://sysoev.ru/en/

	I agree with you that buffering file uploads so you can resend if a
backend goes down should be the default. But I would really like to
have an option to turn off the buffering when proxying.

	In my use case for this i want more control over the upload so I'm
not worried about the backend going down and nginx not being able to
resend to another backed. I would like the upload to pass thru to the
backend and the backend deals with it from there.

	So yes please I would love it if you could implement 1) non-buffered
uploads as a config option. Do you have any idea for a timeline of
when you could implement this feature?

Much Thanks

-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Lead Rails Evangelist