Load balancing with nginx and dynamic dns

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Thu Aug 2 07:21:48 MSD 2007

Hi. I was curious whether anyone has attempted to use nginx HTTP
Upstream Module (load balance) using named server instances with dynamic
dns as opposed to ip's. I have heard of pound being used but thought of
the nginx module recently which should also be easy to configure and
also reconfigure to potentially add application servers without stopping
nginx.

I am hoping this may be useful in an Amazon ec2 context with nginx as
reverse proxy to multiple application servers identified by name and
port. There are few providers out there that can provide a short enough
ttl and where an api exist to communicate with the dns host to modify
the dns record on server startup or shutdown. Many thanks.

Regards,
David