php/fastcgi + phpMyAdmin => Trailing Dot Issue

Jonathan Dance jd at wuputah.com
Mon Feb 19 21:36:30 MSK 2007

Hi all,

Hopefully a stupid question, but I'm having weird behavior with using
nginx + php/fastcgi + phpMyAdmin, where a trailing dot gets added to
the hostname. I am using the standard php/fastcgi setup as described
in the wiki[1], and am using 0.5.12 (Debian unstable). We are still
using lighttpd itself to spawn the fcgi processes. The specific
behavior is:

- Go to site where phpMyAdmin is hosted, e.g., http://phpmyadmin.sitename.com/
- Log in (using cookie auth)
- Log in succeeds, but redirection occurs with trailing dot
(http://phpmyadmin.sitename.com./). In Safari, this causes you to have
to login again, since Safari considers it a different hostname for the
cookie.

I think the issue is how phpMyAdmin is getting the current hostname
from for the redirect. I am not really blaming nginx, but it did work
normally under lighttpd, so I am wondering how to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
JD

[1] http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxFcgiExample