runit and nginx

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Tue Feb 20 16:59:22 MSK 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 01:36:10PM +0000, Chris McGrath wrote:

> I'm using runit to supervise nginx, and to get it to work properly, I
> had to set
>
> daemon = off;
>
> In the nginx.conf. The documentation says that this shouldn't be used
> in production. I was wondering why this was and if it is safe to keep
> running like this.

The "daemon off" and "master_process off" were initially created
for development only. However, some people started to run nginx under
daemontools and so on using "daemon off". Non-daemonized nginx runs
without problems except you can not do online upgrade.

But "master_process off" should be never used in production.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/