Map thousands of urls

Janko Hauser jh at zscout.de
Thu Jun 14 20:17:35 MSD 2007

Am 14.06.2007 um 17:32 schrieb Igor Sysoev:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 12:29:25PM +0200, Janko Hauser wrote:
>
>> Hello, we currently use a homegrown apache module, which maps urls to
>> new domains and urls. For this we use a mysql-lookup. There are O
>> (10000) entries in this table. Now we want to replace Apache with
>> nginx (which is currently used as a load balancing proxy to a big
>> zope cluster f?r 400+ Sites).
>>
>> What would be the best way to achieve the same effect with nginx? We
>> can live with a solution, where the mysql-table is exported once a
>> night, a new nginx include is written and nginx is reloaded. I think
>> it would be bad to port the apache module to nginx, as a mysql-lookup
>> for each request reduces the benefits of nginx.
>>
>> The lookup can be exact, so we do not need thousands of rewrites via
>> regex.
>
> Could you show example of mappings ?
> nginx can do lookups via "map" directive.

Yes I suspected already that "map" could be a solution, but I do not
understand what the variables "0;" etc mean.

The mapping looks like this,

> MAP: /0x0ac80f2b_0x008c8a6e -> http://medien-kunst-
> industrie.zzz.xxx.de/fachgruppen
> MAP: /0x0ac80f2b_0x015a8bd2 -> http://handel.yyy.xxx.de/
> pressemitteilungen/presse_2004
> MAP: /m -> http://mmm.xxx.de/
> MAP: /berlin-brandenburg/lbz -> http://bb.xxx.de/

Currently they only arrive at one host "www.xxx.de" but it would be
cool, if also different hosts could be covered, but that's not a
stopper.

With regards,

__Janko Hauser