Hi, mod secdownload

Bedros Hanounik 2bedros at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 22:18:44 MSD 2007

I requested this feature before, and the guy at nginx wiki was kind enough
to put it on the feature request list.

http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxFeatureRequests

however, I still think it's worth it to add a feature like secdownload to
nginx; because X-Accel-Redirect does not allow me to create temp link to a
static file, which expires after a certain time.

X-Accel-redirect gives me some control to check user authenticity before
serving the static file (redirecting); my problem with that is I want to
decouple the web server (checking authenticity) from serving static files.
with lighttpd secdownload feature, the static file server and web server are
on different machines; I check  the authenticity of the requester once,
create the temp link which expires later, then I don't have to worry about
checking the requester authenticity everytime the file is requested.

I'm planning on building a website (using django) with a sophisticated
access control, and I'm leaning toward lighttpd just because of the
flexibility secdownload feature gives me. However, I really like the
configuration of nginx; it's easy to read and powerful, even though I'm
expert in either lighttpd nor in nginx.

Regards,

-Bedros