nginx documentation

Jonathan Vanasco jvanasco at 2xlp.com
Mon Mar 5 04:17:27 MSK 2007

On Mar 4, 2007, at 6:53 PM, Gregg Reynolds wrote:

> it's developer-oriented.  Ordinary _users_ of the software don't care
> about modules; for them it's better to organized things by functional
> category (or more generally, according to the mental model the user is
> likely to have of how a web server functions).

I'd disagree with that.

Looking at the documentation for other webservers, such as apache ,
everything is presented in terms of modules.

It might make sense to have an overview or tutorial as a general
nginx man page, describing what features are in each of the core
distribution modules , but many of the nginx commands exist only if
specific modules were compiled into the system or not.   I fear a
functional-oriented approach would require many unnecessary modules
to be compiled in by default, and be rather misleading due to the
modular design of nginx.

At least that's my view.

// Jonathan Vanasco