Turning off disk buffering?

Brice Figureau brice+nginx at daysofwonder.com
Thu Oct 18 20:47:59 MSD 2007

On Thu, October 18, 2007 17:50, Athan Dimoy wrote:
> "Igor Sysoev" <is at rambler-co.ru> wrote in message
> news:20071018153149.GP88820 at rambler-co.ru...
>> fastcgi_max_temp_file_size 0;
>

> Thanks Igor!
> I assume that is an undocumented option, I couldn't find it in doc wiki
> and
> your site. Any downsides using it?

I guess that your fastcgi process will be stuck spoon-feeding slow clients
instead of serving blazingly fast to nginx, which in turn spoon-feeds the
clients... It defeats the purpose to use nginx as an accelerator.
Fastcgi process are a scarce resource, you want them to be pinpointed as
little as possible by the clients, to serve many short requests, unlike
nginx whose been designed to serve many client in parallel.

If you have to serve big files, serve them with nginx and not directly by
your PHP application. You can use X-Accel-Redirect for local PHP generated
content...

--
Brice Figureau