gzip compression and internet explorer 6/7

Mathijs Kwik bluescreen303 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 18:44:42 MSD 2007

Hello,

I'm new to nginx but I already like it after just an hour of trying/configuring.
I'm using nginx 0.5.32 as a load-balancer in front of some mongrel
clusters (rails).
I use this bit for gzip-compression:

gzip  on;
gzip_http_version 1.0;
gzip_min_length  1100;
gzip_comp_level 2;
gzip_proxied any;
gzip_types       text/plain text/html text/css text/xml
application/x-javascript application/pdf application/xml
application/xml+rss text/javascript;

I also use "$gzip_ratio" in my logging-format.

I noticed gzipping works perfectly when firefox connects, but when
IE6/7 connects to nginx, this field always shows "-".

Is there any known issue with gzip and IE ?

Many thanks,
Mathijs