Nginx to serve CGI

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Thu Sep 6 18:27:45 MSD 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 04:50:07PM +0300, Riku R?is?nen wrote:

> Igor, could you re-evaluate the possibility of piping through CGI
> from nginx? There are still lots of legacy apps that are and will
> stay written in CGI. And I wouldn't want to throw in apache just for
> that. I couldn't get the perl dispatcher to work correctly, either.
>
> I know it was a security decision, but I've heard that it can be made
> secure with correct users and rights.
>
> I'm willing to dig up the discussion I had about it if you're
> interested.

It's not security decision, but perfomance issue. CGI is very slow.
I saw that people run mini_httpd, http://www.acme.com/software/mini_httpd/
(available in packages) ti run CGI.

I can write CGI support, but it's takes time. It's better to spend this
time for cache, server-status, etc.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/