Appropriate use for nginx?

Roger Pack rogerpack2005 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 23:11:22 MSD 2007

Hi Malte.
Being able to establish persistent connections would enable nginx to
'reuse' them -- thus avoiding the (small) latency of TCP slow start for each
connection.  Of course the question that then arises in ones mind would
be 'how many permanent connections to make'--a possible answer being either
a fixed number per backend, or a dynamic pool (i.e. as many as you ever
happen to need, reusing them as they are freed).  It would be nice, for
example, to be able to specify a certain number of maximum connections to
each instance of Mongrel (running Ruby on Rails) at one, as only one can be
processed at a time, and this would then guarantee load balancing between
them.

The next step in this particular paradigm would be to have nginx specify and
open a port on which backends can connect, themselves, and then have nginx
automatically balance between all currently connected back ends.  This would
enable a user to create more mongrel instances (say on other machines) and
attach them to nginx silently and without any down time.

In retrospect I think TCP slow start is not dramatically slow when on the
same machine, and nginx already does some nice load balancing, but my
suggestions might result in a minimal gain, but maybe a few milliseconds.
Thoughts?
Thanks.
-Roger