config file for only static files.

Amer amerrahman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 07:55:47 MSD 2008

Hello guys.

I wanted to run a particular configuration by you guys to get your thoughts. I'm
moving from lighttpd to nginx.

First a little bit of background. The site is a single server running FreeBsd.
It's a Dual Processor Quad Core Xeon 5310 1.60GHz (Clovertown) with a 2 x 8MB
cache and 4 GB RAM. The site serves only static content. There is absolutely
zero dynamic content. No databases involved. Each static file is about 50 kb.

I get about 3000-3500 requests/second with lightpd and with my initial setup of
nginx I get about the same. While I'm happy with this I used a very simple
config file and just wanted to see if the experienced folks over here could
point out some things that might be able to boost that up even further. It's
very simple and short (just about 20 lines) and I hope some of you could give me
some advise to get more performance (if possible).

worker_processes  4;

events {
    worker_connections  1024;
}

http {
    include       mime.types;
    default_type  application/octet-stream;

    sendfile        on;
    tcp_nopush     on;

    keepalive_timeout  65;

    gzip  on;
    gzip_types      text/plain text/html text/css application/x-javascript
                    text/xml application/xml application/xml+rss ext/javascript;

    server {
        listen       80;
        server_name  localhost;

        location / {