nginx as smtp proxy

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon Apr 7 13:05:35 MSD 2008

Hello!

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 09:21:57AM +0200, Buzzz wrote:

>Hi
>
>I'm trying to configure an smtp proxy.
>I've wrote my own perl auth handler and my backend smtp server does not
>use smtp-auth.
>
>I've seen that nginx smtp proxy try to smtp-auth with the backend after a
>successful auth from the smtp client.
>
>Is it possibile to disable this ? i would like that nginx talk with the
>smtp backend without auth , just forward the smtp-client data (mail) to
>the smtp backend.

Sorry, but nginx has no code to do smtp auth with backend.  The
only thing it can do is to send HELO/EHLO and non-standard XCLIENT
command (if enabled in config).

Note however that after authentication nginx establishes opaque
pipe between client and backend, so everything client sends will
be transferred to backend (and vice versa).  So if *client*
re-sends authentication for some reason - this will be seen by
backend.