XSLT & hello

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Tue Apr 8 15:31:34 MSD 2008

Maxim Dounin ha scritto:
> [...]
> I'm planning to implement nginx XSLT module for a while, and studied the
> problem in detail.
>
> The main problem with XSLT is that in general you can't transform XML
> document unless it's fully parsed, and thus nginx will be forced to
> buffer entire backend answer before transforming.  This will have
> obvious memory implications.

No problem with Nginx, it can buffer on a temp file (and you can force
it to *always* buffer to a temp file), so you can just run the XSLT
processor as a separate process and send the resulting file to the
client (perhaps using sendfile).

Unfortunately Nginx does not offer an infrastructure for process
handling to be used by modules.

> So, if you already have your XML parsed somewhere in you app - it would
> be more efficient to transform it there.
>
> Maxim Dounin

Manlio Perillo