proxy_set_header inheritance not working?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Fri Apr 11 16:03:41 MSD 2008

Hello!

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 02:05:18AM +1000, Mark James wrote:

> Maxim Dounin wrote:
>
>>>   http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxHttpProxyModule#proxy_set_header
>>>
>>> Is this saying in a lost-in-translation way that inheritance
>>> only happens when there are no proxy_set_header directives at
>>> the lower level?  This may be the case, because I've managed to
>>> get this common include arrangement working when the proxy_set_header
>>> directives in the include file are moved from "location /" to
>>> the top level of the file (which is at the server level).
>>
>> Yes. Feel free to fix wording if you may suggest better one.
>>
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.nginx.english/4022
>
> Thanks Maxim. Sorry I missed the earlier post.
>
> I've edited the English proxy_set_header docs, though there's still
> some ambiguity because I don't know whether the inheritance is from
> every higher level or just from the next highest one that has a
> proxy_set_header directive.
>
> One other thing: I couldn't find any English docs about quoting of
> directive parameters, Looking at the source, it appears that all
> parameters can be wrapped with both single and double-quotes,
> though I'm not sure how this interacts with variable expansion.

Quoting has nothing to do with variable expansion.  Variable
expansion happens unconditionally if it's supported for particular
parameter.  This is usually documented on per-directive basis.

Please note: quoting supported for directive arguments, but not for
complex entities within them.  E.g. the following won't work:

upstream test {
    server 127.0.0.1:8080 max_fails="10";
}

> If you can give me an answer, I'll write it up on the Wiki, probably
> on http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxConfigNotation

Looks like right place.