proxy_set_header inheritance not working?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Fri Apr 11 18:57:44 MSD 2008

Hello!

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 02:46:51PM +0100, Ed W wrote:

> Maxim Dounin wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:48:12PM +0100, Ed W wrote:
>>
>>> Hi

>>> Is it possible to request variable expansion for log file location? (ie
>>> easily make it a function of server name).
>>
>> No.
>>

> ...Because...?
> Is it a bad idea?  Hard to implement?  Something else?

Sorry, I misread you question.  The answer was for question "Is it
currently possible to use variable ...".

Regarding you real question:

It's possible, but:

1. Expanding this for each request will require additional cpu and
may introduce security issues if improperly used.  Additionally,
it's IMHO too complicated to work.

2. Expanding this at configuration stage may be a good idea, but
this isn't really a problem since with small number of vhosts you
may easily configure this by hand, and with huge number of vhosts
you probaly anyway generate configs.