Static file benchmarks

Cocoa Guy cocoa.guy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 23:47:11 MSD 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:23 AM, kingler <kingler at 72pines.com> wrote:
> It appears that you are using the Amazon EC2 Small Instance (default):
>  Note that it says "I/O Performance: Moderate" in the description of
>  small instance.
>
>  Maybe you are hitting the bottleneck of the disk IO...

Yes, the numbers I posted are for the small instance. Unfortunately I
tried a Large instance and got the same numbers (but the OS remained
the same 32 bit OS)

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Denis S. Filimonov
<den.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Amazon EC2 works in a virtualized environment with a network filesystem.
>  It's hard to expect top performance in such setting.
>  It's also hard to tell which factors limit the throughput because you don't
>  get to see the full picture.

Right, this is a virtualized environment, but the disk performance on
an EC2 instance is at least 40 MB/sec. Is it possible at that speed
for the disk to be the limiting factor? I've read that files read from
disk are cached in the kernel cache, but I have no clue...

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Thomas <iamkenzo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, you are using 1000 concurrency, which is gigantic!!! Did you try
>  lowering the concurrency to see the difference?

I'm using the same concurrency used in the superjared.com blog entry,
which I'm using as my baseline.