OT: 'best' dynamic language

Marcin Kasperski Marcin.Kasperski at softax.com.pl
Tue Apr 22 16:05:59 MSD 2008

>> Regarding nginx support: currently I tend to believe that using
>> nginx as reverse proxy (and static file server) may be the best
>> runtime configuration....
>
> The problem with reverse proxy is that you need another server,

FastCGI/SCGI/etc are also another server, just less explicit ;-)

> and this server is usually written in Python, and most of the time
> it uses threads for concurrency,

If you are hardcore, you can use twisted. But IMO it is overkill for
web.

Also, threads are not that bad in such context. Note that here you have
non-trivial code, which makes some database operations, dynamically
formats pages using templates, etc. The cost of some context switches
is far less noticeable than in case of static file serving.

> 1) Use Nginx as main server + reverse proxy
> 2) Run your application embedded in Apache or
>    Nginx (but the application should be written with care)

I do not see any advantages of apache here (unless you want to
use existing permissions, authorization etc infrastructure already
defined for apache).

| Marcin Kasperski   | Communication takes place between people,
| http://mekk.waw.pl |      documents are secondary. (Booch)