How to get nginx to see higher limit for file descriptors?

Rt Ibmer rtibmx at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 23:06:00 MSD 2008

>From this warning it seems that you are telling Nginx to use 4096
> worker processes!! Are you sure?

Yes indeed. This is intentional. Here is the relevant section:

events {
    worker_connections  4096;
}

>From a shell, if I do "ulimit -n 65536" and then launch nginx the warning goes away.  But if I have my init.d start nginx then it complains that the limit is 1024.

So what I am looking for is the necessary steps to set the ulimit -n to 65536 at the system wide level so that nginx sees this higher limit when launched form init.d.  I thought I had done that properly as I listed out in detail in my last message on the subject, but apparently that is not sufficient. Thanks.

Be a better friend, newshound, and