A hardware question

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 11:36:42 MSD 2008

I ordered some servers from my provider - they were supposed to be 3
identical ones. However, they gave me 3 different ones all with varied
processors.

a) Single Processor Dual Core Xeon 5160 - 3.00GHz (Woodcrest) - 1 x 4MB cache

b) Single Processor Quad Core Xeon 5310 - 1.60GHz (Clovertown) - 1 x
8MB cache (low voltage one)

c) Single Processor Quad Core Xeon 5335 - 2.00GHz (Clovertown) - 1 x
8MB cache (low voltage one)

all a single SATA2 disk, all 2G RAM.

Which one would be best for nginx + php/fastcgi? I know there is a
debate on more cores vs. faster clock speed, and certain apps take
advantage of it better. I think nginx will use such little resources
that a dual-core higher clock speed would be better...

There are a handful of FastCGI pools running under different uid/gids,
so the processes can bounce around to different cores often, and nginx
can have 4 workers each one bound to a single core. So perhaps having
4 individual cores able to service instead of 2 faster ones is better?

I plan on growing up to 2 million php requests per day (per machine)
and maybe 5 or 6 million static files (video, image, HTML, etc)

Just wondering what you guys would prefer?