upload module 2.0.4

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 12:18:28 MSD 2008

On 8/7/08, Valery Kholodkov <valery+nginxen at grid.net.ru> wrote:

> mike <mike503 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi there - how could this work with PUT method?
>
> It can't. Use built in DAV module.
>
> > Is this understandable? I've kind of gone off the deep end here now.
>
> In this way even DAV module can't do it, I suppose. Why are not happy with
> POST?

POST isn't reliable for large files and I don't believe (without some
major inspection) it can support resuming files, etc.

PUT seems like the appropriate method for large files, and skipping
the encoding step. I already have a PHP script which will process it
too, and tons of different browser applets to choose from that will
handle it.

People will be uploading files of various sizes from various
connection speeds and geographies, so it has to support resuming,
gracefully from timeouts or hitting the pause button etc.

It does not seem like POST will do that; not to mention the server
handles POST differently than PUT.

I believe nginx's DAV support will work just need to test out large
files, pick a specific upload applet, etc.