Still having HTTP 400 - nginx bad request error

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Wed Aug 13 23:04:02 MSD 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:44:36AM -0700, mike wrote:

> On 8/13/08, Asif Ali <azifali at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there any other possibility?. A lot of requests from mobile phones seem
> > to be rejected by nginx as well
> >
> > There are lots of special characters (generally encoded) available within
> > the request url
> >
> > Please advise
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Asif Ali
>
> IMHO nginx should accept unencoded data and encode it if it needs to.
> Spaces in URLs are probably quite common and web browsers/mobile
> devices/all that stuff probably doesn't encode them nicely like they
> should all the time.

nginx accepts any character in URL except space. I do not think that
unescaped spaces are common: I have just seen www.rambler.ru's last
400,000 requests. There are 50 line with 400 errors and no one with space.

Probably these spaces are bugs in mobile phones.

Apache 1.3 returns 400 for such URLs too, while modern Apache2 accepts them.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/