Hit counter persistent variables

Chris Savery chrissavery at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 18:40:42 MSD 2008

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't really want to go to that extent and
I'd wonder if updating a database would just slow the static files down.
What I had in mind is just incrementing a variable. I suppose I could
write a simple module that maintains a few in memory varibles. Just
wondered if there was an easier way.

Maybe write a log format that just adds a single char for each hit. Then
later I can find hit count by checking the length of that log file? And
a cron once an hour that stores the file length in another file and
deletes the log so it repeats. But is it possible to just write one char
to a log file? Maybe log format like,

log_format hits 'x';

Just an idea. Would that be very fast?

Chris.