static files @ 50 req a second. using nginx and 2 mongre

Bbq Plate lists at ruby-forum.com
Mon Feb 11 17:40:34 MSK 2008

hi, here is the config i am using. since i am getting such a large
return for static requests (5000 a second) on my localhost, should that
not indicate the conf is set to serve static by nginx? when testing
static content on localhost on apache, i was getting 500 requests a
second. nginx is ridiculously quick!

however, my other computer on the LAN connected via 802.11b, seems to
get max rate of 50 req/sec on both nginx and apache. i guess my
bandwidth is the bottleneck? i tried setting tcpnodelay to on, however
it doesnt change anything performing the httperf test.

thanks for any help!

##
# Basic config modified only slightly from
http://brainspl.at/articles/2007/01/03/new-nginx-conf-with-optimizations
#
# Turns SSI on and uses locations as defined in install-nginx.sh script.
#
# See also http://topfunky.net/svn/shovel/nginx
#
# USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

# user and group to run as
# user  deploy deploy;

# number of nginx workers
worker_processes  1;

# pid of nginx master process
pid /usr/local/nginx/logs/nginx.pid;

# Number of worker connections. 1024 is a good default
events {
  worker_connections 1024;
}

# start the http module where we config http access.
http {
  # pull in mime-types. You can break out your config
  # into as many include's as you want to make it cleaner
  include /usr/local/nginx/conf/mime.types;

  # set a default type for the rare situation that
  # nothing matches from the mimie-type include
  default_type  application/octet-stream;

  # configure log format
  log_format main '$remote_addr - $remote_user [$time_local] '
                  '"$request" $status $body_bytes_sent "$http_referer" '
                  '"$http_user_agent" "$http_x_forwarded_for"';

  # main access log
  access_log  /usr/local/nginx/logs/nginx_access.log  main;

  # main error log
  error_log  /usr/local/nginx/logs/nginx_error.log debug;

  # no sendfile on OSX
  sendfile on;

  # These are good default values.
  tcp_nopush        on;
  tcp_nodelay       on; #off;
  # output compression saves bandwidth
  gzip            on;
  gzip_http_version 1.0;
  gzip_comp_level 2;
  gzip_proxied any;
  gzip_types      text/plain text/html text/css application/x-javascript
text/xml application/xml application/xml+rss text/javascript;

  # this is where you define your mongrel clusters.
  # you need one of these blocks for each cluster
  # and each one needs its own name to refer to it later.
  #
  # Rename to mongrel_site1, mongrel_site2, etc if using
  # virtual hosts.
  upstream mongrel {
    server 127.0.0.1:8002;
    server 127.0.0.1:8003;
    server 127.0.0.1:7000;
  }

  # Copy this section on down and put into a separate file
  # if you want to organize your virtual hosts in files.
  #
  # Then include here with
  #
  #   include /usr/local/nginx/conf/vhosts/my_subdomain.conf
  #
  # the server directive is nginx's virtual host directive.
  server {
    # port to listen on. Can also be set to an IP:PORT.
    listen 3050;

    # Set the max size for file uploads to 50Mb
    client_max_body_size 50M;

    # sets the domain[s] that this vhost server requests for
    # server_name www.[engineyard].com [engineyard].com;

    # doc root
    root /var/www/app3x/public;

    # vhost specific access log
    access_log  /var/www/app3x/nginx.vhost.access.log  main;

    # NOTE Uncomment and edit to redirect all subdomains back to
domain.com
    #      Useful for sending .net and .org variants back to your site.
    # if ($host !~ ^domain\.com$) {
    #   rewrite ^.+ http://domain.com$uri permanent;
    #   break;
    # }

    # this rewrites all the requests to the maintenance.html
    # page if it exists in the doc root. This is for capistrano's
    # disable web task
    if (-f $document_root/system/maintenance.html) {
      rewrite  ^(.*)$  /system/maintenance.html last;
      break;
    }

    location / {
      # Uncomment to allow server side includes so nginx can
      # post-process Rails content
      ## ssi on;

      # needed to forward user's IP address to rails
      proxy_set_header  X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;

      # needed for HTTPS
      proxy_set_header  X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
      proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
      proxy_redirect false;
      proxy_max_temp_file_size 0;

      # If the file exists as a static file serve it directly without
      # running all the other rewite tests on it
      if (-f $request_filename) {
        break;
      }

      # check for index.html for directory index
      # if its there on the filesystem then rewite
      # the url to add /index.html to the end of it
      # and then break to send it to the next config rules.
      if (-f $request_filename/index.html) {
        rewrite (.*) $1/index.html break;
      }

      # this is the meat of the rails page caching config
      # it adds .html to the end of the url and then checks
      # the filesystem for that file. If it exists, then we
      # rewite the url to have explicit .html on the end
      # and then send it on its way to the next config rule.
      # if there is no file on the fs then it sets all the
      # necessary headers and proxies to our upstream mongrels
      if (-f $request_filename.html) {
        rewrite (.*) $1.html break;
      }

      if (!-f $request_filename) {
        # Use other cluster name here if you are running multiple
        # virtual hosts.
        proxy_pass http://mongrel;
        break;

    error_page   500 502 503 504  /500.html;
    location = /500.html {
      root   /var/www/app3x/public;

  # This server is setup for ssl. Uncomment if
  # you are using ssl as well as port 80.
  # server {
  #   # port to listen on. Can also be set to an IP:PORT
  #   listen 443;
  #
  #   # Set the max size for file uploads to 50Mb
  #   client_max_body_size 50M;
  #
  #   # sets the domain[s] that this vhost server requests for
  #   # server_name www.[engineyard].com [engineyard].com;
  #
  #   # doc root
  #   root /var/www/apps/mysite.com/current/public;
  #
  #   # vhost specific access log
  #   access_log
/var/www/apps/mysite.com/shared/log/nginx.vhost.access.log  main;
  #
  #   # NOTE See also
http://blog.imperialdune.com/2007/3/31/setting-up-godaddy-turbo-ssl-on-nginx
  #   #      if you are buying a GoDaddy SSL cert.
  #   ssl                  on;
  #   ssl_certificate      /var/keys/domain.com.crt;
  #   ssl_certificate_key  /var/keys/domain.com.key;
  #
  #   # NOTE Uncomment and edit to redirect all subdomains back to
domain.com
  #   #      Useful for sending .net and .org variants back to your
site.
  #   if ($host !~ ^domain\.com$) {
  #     rewrite ^.+ https://domain.com$uri permanent;
  #     break;
  #   }
  #
  #   # this rewrites all the requests to the maintenance.html
  #   # page if it exists in the doc root. This is for capistrano's
  #   # disable web task
  #   if (-f $document_root/system/maintenance.html) {
  #     rewrite  ^(.*)$  /system/maintenance.html last;
  #     break;
  #   }
  #
  #   location / {
  #     # needed to forward user's IP address to rails
  #     proxy_set_header  X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
  #
  #     # needed for HTTPS
  #     proxy_set_header X_FORWARDED_PROTO https;
  #
  #     proxy_set_header  X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
  #     proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
  #     proxy_redirect false;
  #     proxy_max_temp_file_size 0;
  #
  #     # If the file exists as a static file serve it directly without
  #     # running all the other rewite tests on it
  #     if (-f $request_filename) {
  #       break;
  #     }
  #
[...]