user with ssl-proxy, nginx problem
gabor at nekomancer.net
Thu Feb 21 10:30:01 MSK 2008
i'm facing a strange problem here, maybe someone had
experience with this before...
i have an nginx server, which server some files using HTTPS,
because nginx had ssl-problems in the past, in the past we had this config:
- we had an apache server, listening on port 443, that got the requests,
did the ssl-handling, and then proxied the request to nginx. so nginx
did not do any SSL-stuff.
- and everything worked fine.
but now we switched to an nginx-only solution, and starting to have
problems with one user, who uses a https proxy.
in the past, for him the file-download worked this way:
- the java app requested the file, got a HTTP 401 (Unauthorized) response
- so the java app requested the file again, but now it sent the
necessary username/password, and got the file (and a HTTP 200)
- and all was ok
after we switched to the nginx-only solution, this is what happens:
- the java app requests the file, gets a http 400 (not 401)
- so the java app retries, and gets the http 400 again
- this happens 5 times, and then the java app gives up
in the nginx access log, i see 5 http 401 (Unauthorized) accesses, and i
see that the client did not send the username/password.
also, an additional detail:
using a web-browser, the user is able to download from the server fine,
even when using the https proxy.
with this info, i would usually blame the java-app, but the strange
thing is, that in the past with the apache+nginx config, it worked fine.
i tried to migrate every setting from the apache-server to the nginx-server,
even the ssl_cipher settings, but it did not help.
More information about the nginx