high bandwidth configuration help

Alexander Staubo alex at purefiction.net
Sun Feb 24 15:39:46 MSK 2008

> thanks for all the replies! i should have provided more details but I was in
> dispair and it was late at night, have clear head now after good sleep.
[...]
> top http://pastebin.com/m2587b666
> dstat http://pastebin.com/m2055efd4
> df http://pastebin.com/m724e52a7
> vmstat http://pastebin.com/m5cdc2f0b

You need to run vmstat for a longer period of time (try "vmstat 1" and
let it run for a minute), but looking at that one line:

server11:/ # vmstat
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu----
 r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id wa
 0  5     84  49296  16044 1824108    0    0    17    11   14   11  3 18 43 36

It seems you are completely I/O-bound. The second column shows us that
five processes are blocking for I/O -- ie., doing nothing except wait
for I/O.

I suggest you follow Igor's advice and set:

  worker_processes 1;

and see what happens then.

Alexander.