Protecting nginx from syn flood and DOS vs legit heavy traffic

iDEV d.o.o. info at idev.si
Wed Jul 2 14:58:30 MSD 2008

Well, synflooding is more of a OS problem than it is a nginx problem,
since the connection is never actually established only initiated.
A severe TCP connect attack would impact nginx more, but the affect of it
can be
minimized with a small client_header_timeout and/or client_body timeout.

The synflooding can be somewhat managed with varios OS variables (sysctl),
I only use FreeBSD, but it might help you anyway, just look at
net.inet.tcp.drop_synfin (which is always good to be set to 1)
and other values of net.inet.tcp.syncache.* and net.inet.tcp.syncookies.

You can also limit the number of syn packets on your network to a
reasonable number per time unit.
The bottom line is, that the attacks are not avoidable but only managable.

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:52:24 +0200, Bartlomiej Syryjczyk
<bartlomiej at syryjczyk.name> wrote:
--

iDEV, podjetje za spletne storitve, d.o.o.
Tomaž Marhat, CEO

Web: http://idev.si/
VAT #: SI43028195
Company ID #: 2346265
Mobile #: +386 70 819 789

--
bMail.si - Storitev portala mojblink.com (avtor: iDEV d.o.o.)