SSL load balancing

Marlon de Boer marlon at hyves.nl
Thu Jul 3 01:50:08 MSD 2008

Max Sevenfold wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to use nginx as load balancer for SSL traffic?
Yes, see example below

server {
                listen                  443 default;
                ssl_verify_client       off;

                ssl on;
                ssl_certificate         /etc/nginx/nginx.cert;
                ssl_certificate_key     /etc/nginx/nginx.key;
                ssl_session_cache       shared:ssl:100m;

                location / {
                        proxy_pass              http://non-ssl-backend;
                        proxy_redirect          off;
                        proxy_set_header        Host             $host;
                        proxy_set_header        X-HTTPS          on;
                        proxy_set_header        X-Real-IP
$remote_addr;
                        proxy_set_header        X-Forwarded-For
$proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
                        proxy_set_header        X-Client-Verify  SUCCESS;
                        proxy_set_header        X-SSL-Subject
$ssl_client_s_dn;
                        proxy_set_header        X-SSL-Issuer
$ssl_client_i_dn;

> Will connections from nginx to web servers be encrypted?
No the connection will be forwarded to the backend via clear http

> What are encryption options are available?
I think all ciphers from the openssl library.

> Is there some fast non SSL encryption available? (e.g. symmetric keys)
Not that I know off.

Regards,
Marlon de Boer
System administrator http://www.hyves.nl